5 Best Camping Cots – Fast and Comprehensive Review
Not everyone who goes on a camping trip is a cowboy who can survive with just a backpack. Some people want to enjoy camping without having to suffer from the cold or get a bad back. If you are one of these people, then the best camping cot is the right choice for you.
If you don’t want to lie down on the damp and uneven floor, then a camping cot will give you that distance and put an end to lack of sleep because of bumps and lumps. It’s also a fantastic option for people who have arthritis and find bending a chore.
You have to choose the right cot, though, and that is why we reviewed the best camping cots for 2016 in this section. Depending on your choice, you can use one to several. You can never go wrong with these choices.
#1. The Best Camping Cot
1. Why Camping Cots Are Important
If you are going on a camping adventure, then chances are you are going to be very active. You’d be cooking, hiking, building a campfire, etc. These activities will consume much of your energy, and it is crucial that you get a good night’s sleep for the next day.
You’ll feel tired just even thinking about it. At the end of the day, you would want a cozy cot to rest your tired body; not sleeping on the ground.
2. Advantages And Disadvantages Of Using Camping Cots
All sleeping systems, whether zip together bags, rectangular bags, sleeping bags, camping hammocks, foam pads, sleeping pads and camping air beds are not universally applicable for all sorts of outdoor activities. Thus, there are advantages and disadvantages to using camping cots.
Advantages of using Camping Cots:
- Provides under bed storage
- They are comfortable
- They are best for sleeping off the ground
- They are great for keeping cool in a hot weather
- You can climb in and out with much less effort
- They are great for keeping insects away.
Disadvantages of using Camping Cots
- They can be weighty and inconvenient to transport in different places
- They do not offer any insulation for the cold weather
- They will consume some space inside your tent.
3. What Makes A Camping Cot The Best?
Several varieties of camping cots can have several kinds of fabric, frame, weights, and sizes and so on. So it may not be easy to choose one that is best suited for your outdoor activities. You must think of many considerations before getting one. The heavier cots provide more comfort than the lighter ones.
But should you get a heavier coat, it might be difficult to transport them from one place to the next. It’s the reason why a bulk of campers prefers lightweight cots. Thus, you need to put portability into consideration when getting a cot. A portable cot would come in handy when you are camping.
Easy to Use and Store
Camping cots can come in poles and fabrics just like the tents, with instructions that some people may not get immediately while setting up for the night. But often, that is not the case. Ease of use entails that you can set up the item fast and the best cot was designed for such convenience.
You may also find that ease of use and weight come hand-in-hand and you will find many high-end models that are lightweight. Most lightweight models are easy to set up because they are easy to carry.
Warmth and Comfort
Just because you are not directly in contact with the ground doesn’t always mean that you are going get warm and comfortable at night. The cool air beneath your cot can be colder than that of an insulated mat. If you have colds, then you may need an extra layer for better insulation.
The best camping cots have special features like a closed mat or cell foam mattress to insulate you from cold conditions. These features are not found in mediocre models, and you have to spend more for additional stuff to make the necessary adjustments.
Weight is among the most crucial factors to consider when getting a camping cot. Several types of camping cots have different weights. They range from 2-3 lbs to 15-20 lbs. heavy duty cots that are made of steel weight.
So you can select between heavy duty or lightweight and must not overlook what is required for your camping trip. You would need a lightweight model in most situations since camping involves transporting stuff from one place to the next.
The most appropriate size of the majority of adults is 25” wide and 75” in length. Size matters because you may also discover that other sizes are more suitable for taller and shorter people.
Take note of the cot’s fabric. The quality of the material must be good and cleaned easily. On this respect, Polyester fabric and Nylon are ideal. Contrary to that, cotton canvas fabrics don’t work well in catching dust, and they are also heavy.
Check out this video for a closer look at how to set up a camping cot
#2. Review Of The Best Camping Bed Cots
Below are reviews of the best camping cots for 2016. The reviews will help you determine the best camping cot or bed for you.
There’s a reason why the name of this item sounds bad ass. This cot enters the game with a good capability of 600 lbs, supporting even Paul Bunyan himself. With dimensions of 85” by 45”, the cot provides extra space for your special someone.
Because the product is big, you might think that it weighs at least a ton. But Teton Sports Outfitter is a very portable item that can be easily carried in the camping site without any assistance. It easy to use and set up, and you won’t have a difficult time in unfolding.
- Dimensions (Folded): 42″ x 12″ x 7″
- Dimensions (Unfolded): 85″ x 40″ x 19”.
- Aluminium framing with steel legs
- Heavy-Duty polyurethane canvas top
- Easy-to-fold design
- Easy to set up
- Carrying bag
- Applicable with Teton Sports products
- Maximum 600 lbs capacity
- 19’ ground clearance
- Lifetime warranty
- Multi-color options (black).
- Durable and sturdy, enabling you to use it for a longer period
- The weight carries well, making it easy to transport while camping
- The item is easy to use and set up, giving you that needed extra convenience
- The fabric is very comfortable, giving you a cozy sleep.
- Some customers complain about the canvas mast being a little bit thin, and some of them have to bring their pads for extra layering.
Coleman ComfortSmart Cot is a small but very portable and dependable item. It is the first choice for many campers. That’s no surprise for a company that has been around for a while. This cot is affordable, comfortable and durable.
The spring suspension system and thick foam mattress make the cot a perfect accouterment while sleeping outdoors. This is what makes the cot very popular.
- Dimensions (Folded): 34.3” x 25.4” x 5.5”
- Dimensions (Unfolded): 69” x 29” x 15”.
- Spring coil suspension
- Thick, foam mattress
- Maximum 275 lb. Capacity
- Fits heights of 5’ 7.”
- One year warranty.
- The spring suspension and thick foam mattress come together to provide a more comfortable sleep
- The thick, foam mattress provides extra comfort and insulation.
- While the mattress can slip from time-to-time, the easiest way to fix it is to lash it on the place.
Bringing the pleasures of home, the cot comes with a nightstand that can be set up very easily. The side table is just of the major features of the product, and it also has a cup holder.
The side table is big; with enough room to store your light, magazine lantern, tablet, cell phone and other items that you wish to keep while sleeping inside the tent at night. The cot is a perfect choice for adults who like side tables.
- Dimensions (folded): 39.5” x 11’’ x 10”
- Dimensions (unfolded): 80” x 32” x 17”.
- Maximum 300 lb. Capacity
- Fits a height of 6’ 8.”
- Includes a carrying case
- 1-year warranty.
- The cot is durable, lightweight and well-built
- The carrying case makes it easy to handle and carry
- The 300 lb. maximum capacity enables users to sleep on it with their partner or children.
- The extra carrying bag isn’t as good as many people thought.
A folding camp cot will make camping fast and fantastic for outdoor utility. It’s great as a cabin cot, military cot, emergency cot, and even extra bedding for your guest.
- Dimensions (folded): 4.5"H x 24.5"W x 36"L
- Dimensions (unfolded): 13.5"H x 24.5"W x 72"L
- Portable Cot the Easily Folds
- Weight: 8 lbs – for kids and adults
- Steel/Oxford Cloth Material
- 300 lbs. maximum weight capacity.
- The cot is very easy to set up, and you don’t need the manual to do it
- The 300 lbs. weight capacity provides ample support to the user; including his or her partner’s weight
- The Steel/Oxford material makes the item very sturdy and useful for a long period
- The item is easy to fold and store.
- Some people don’t think the cot is comfortable enough although many said they are contented with the product.
The Kamp-Rite oversized Kwik-Cot was designed to promote relaxation in both mind and body. Comfortable and roomy, the item and its compact design provide convenience and easy storage. Its heavy-duty body provides tough support and has a 400 lb. capacity. Side storage pockets provide storage for personal items, and the sturdy carry bag is transported with it.
- Easily opens for a comfortable 84" x 33" sleeping surface
- A couple of storage pouches for storing keys, cell phones, etc
- The two pouches serve as carry handles when the cot is folded
- Zippered carry for easy and clean storage
- 400 lb. weight capacity
- Creates a compact 42"x9"x8" when folded down.
- Built from high-quality materials – heavy-duty nylon, heavy-duty powder-coated steel
- Opens and closes in just a matter of seconds, making it fairly easy to use
- The mesh storage bag provides a storage place for personal items such as cellular phones and small gadgets
- Fairly lightweight and easy to carry
- It is durable, making it usable for a longer period.
- Some people have complained about the fabric’s tendency to stretch out a lot.
If you are planning on going out on a camping adventure with your RV or vehicle, and you think you can bring some extra stuff with fewer problems, then the best camping cots will no doubt provide you with extra comfort you need during night-time.
Out of the five best camping cots, we reviewed in this section, the Teton Sports Outfitter XXL Camp Cot. If comfort is your primary goal with all else being secondary, then this is the perfect cot for you. This cot is very big cot; bigger than the other products like the Kamp-Rite making it very supportive for your family.
And in spite of its many good features, the Teton Sports Outfitter is very easy to set up and fairly light to transport. The item not only satisfies the different categories of what makes the best camping cot, but it also stands out among the rest.
Watch this video and see how the Teton Sports Outfitter is set up
We hope this post helped you decide on which camping cot to bring on your next camping trip. Which among the 5 products is your favorite? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below.