Your Ultimate Guide To The Best Coolers On The Market Today
In your next barbecue, camping, or outdoor activity, it would make a huge difference if you bring not just any cooler but the best coolers on the market. The best coolers are not just a fad. They can provide more ease and comfort to your leisure.
Coolers are a large industry and there a great number of options out there from virtually disposable coolers at the grocery store to spending hundreds of dollars to buy the high-end coolers in the market. There’s a chance you’d get confused on which coolers are the best in the market.
To help you find the best coolers, we discuss the characteristics of a high-end cooler and how you can distinguish them from the ordinary types. We also reviewed 5 of the best coolers on the market today. Depending on your needs, you can choose one to several. So keep reading.
Learn more our camping checklist for your camping trip.
#1 Finding The Best Coolers On The Market
The best coolers are available in different sizes, shapes, and colors. Besides these characteristics, these models also stand out because of their functionality.
General Characteristics Of The Best Coolers
Many experts believe that the best coolers would be high-end models that go beyond the limitations of a traditional model both in design and functionality. They feature thicker walls; foam injected lids and insulations, rubber gaskets for tight seals and big external latches.
These coolers are built through roto-molding technique, which uses melted plastic to produce hollow plastic shells with no seams. It also enables handle attachment point and hinges to be melded into the body. Such a construction leads to enhanced durability.
How To Determine The Best Coolers
The best models are capable of keeping things cool much longer than the conventional models. You may spend days on the outdoors and the insulating capacity of a sophisticated model would prove quite useful.
The ORCA Cooler, for instance, has an insulating capacity that retains coldness and keeps your items fresh for ten days. The ORCA Extra Heavy Duty’s insulating capacity have undergone tests, and the cooler was still holding ice pretty well six days in the test.
The traditional models that were tested went below-below 40˚F 2-3 days during the test. Traditional models such as Rubbermaid Extreme 5-day Wheeled wasn’t able to maintain ideal insulation for a week but worked fine for three days
If you are planning a long camping trip that would last for at least a week, then you will need a model like the ORCA cooler. These models will keep your stuff fresh for a week or longer, and you don’t have to put new ice inside them constantly.
If you are only going to a barbecue party, though, or a few hours of picnic along the beach, then these high-end models could be overkill, and it’s alright to use conventional models. Their cool designs and reputable brand logos, though, can make a great impression.
Some traditional coolers can’t maintain the coldness of their contents for long, some leak out and others require you to refill ice constantly.
As expected, high-end coolers are much more durable than conventional ones, with lids, walls, and hinges that are very tough. Aside from that, they also have UV-resistant plastic, drain plugs that are screwed in with rubber ring seals, large handles, and beefy latching mechanisms.
The majority of conventional models lack these long-lasting features. Traditional models have been tested for the durability of their handles, hinges, and other parts. The walls and lids of conventional models lack the rigidity that is found those of high-end models.
While it can be argued that traditional models can be usable for weeks of camping trips, we can’t take away the fact that we are most likely be using the item in tough conditions. It could constantly be bouncing and bumping around your vehicle or accidentally used as a chair. The toughness of high-end models would prove to be a worthy investment.
Instead of constantly buying and replacing new coolers, you can have a one-time investment that would last for many years.
How Using High-end Models Can Make A Difference In Your Group Activities
According to ibass360.com in a post entitled “You Say, It’s All Cool. Is It Really?”, High-end models will make a difference in your activities by providing you with:
Ease of Use
When it comes to ease of use, we are dealing with two things really: the easy opening of the lid and fast draining of meltwater. Easy lid opening is mostly due to the latches securing it. Lids that suddenly shut for no reason can make a normal camping preparation seem like a chore.
Some the drain plugs tend are messy in dripping water from the cooler, and this can cause not only a hassle but also a mess in your vehicle.
A great cooler will have none of those discomforts since they will be easy to open and you can easily drain melted water with them. The latch and lid designs of the Yeti Tundra 65 and Max Cold Ultra show the different between the design and construction of high-end and traditional models. They were designed for easy usage.
High-end coolers can be heavy when fully loaded. Handle versatility and comfort mostly characterize ease of portability in this sense. Handles with poor designs can make handling, carrying and transporting much more difficult for you; especially when you’re carrying a heavy load.
The YETI Tundra, for example, is known for its comfortable and convenient handles.
While many people don’t find features that important when choosing cooler, high-end coolers go beyond ordinary convention by including additional features to the cooler’s major functionality.
Just some of these features include useful stuff such as emergency bottle openers, cupholders, and rulers. But the most important features you should pay attention to must cover better insulation, external latches, pin style hinges, and durability features.
Some of the additional features may not be necessary, but they can add convenience to your cooking activities.
#2 A Quick Review Of The 5 Best Coolers On The Market Today
Pelican has found a way to make certain modifications on older coolers and has introduced revolutionary cooler designs. The Pelican ProGear Elite Cooler is one of these revolutionary designs.
These models are at least 30% lighter compared to older coolers, and they have a unique design as well.
- Dimension: 19.00" x 12.00" x 12.00" (interior)
- Color: Marine White, Outdoor Tan
- 2-inches durable insulation
- Uses freezer grade seal to wrap the whole lid and keep the warm air out
- Drain plug
- Dual Handle System (Hinged Handles & Molded-in)
- Press & Pull Latches (Applicable even with gloves)
- Molded-In Tie Downs on each corner
- The press and pull latches on the cooler are easy to open and close, and I like the fact that there is so much installation in the cooler to keep my stuff cool
- The drain plug on the cooler’s interior is a great idea since you don’t have to tilt the cooler like most of us do because the water will just run out of it. You can also attach a garden hose on the outside to the drain
- The stainless steel plate protector on the cooler will allow you to attach a lock on so you can keep your stuff safe when you’re away
- The dual-handle system is a simplistic genius because you can either use them as a regular handle to grab with your body or a static handle to carry the item
- There’s been an issue about the product not being as spacious on the inside as other coolers, but that’s not a big deal to me unless I have a lot of stuff to store
This fine item came with a full steel lid and base and covered with a colored plastic. The Coleman 54 Quart Steel Belted Cooler can load 85 cans. It is made up of a durable stainless steel handle and built with rubber grips for an easy and comfortable transport.
- Dimensions: 24.5 (L) x 16.75 (W) x 16.23 (H)
- Color: Grey
- 85 cans containing capacity
- Durable steel latches
- Stainless steel screws and hinges
- Easy and comfortable to use handles
- Leak-resistant channel seals
- 2 inches of thick polyurethane solution
- The Coleman 54-Quart Steel-Belted Cooler is big and can contain 85 cans that will be insulated and cooled for hours. This gives plenty of time to preserve your beverages and keep them cool
- The handles were designed to make the cooler easy to transport whether you are lifting, carrying or bringing it to another place
- The leak-resistant channel seals the item from leaks and enables you to get rid of water without necessarily tilting it
- Spare parts are available and widely distributed in the market in case you break any crucial part of the Coleman after prolonged use. So you don’t have to worry about buying a new unit again
- The Coleman Steel-Belted is a bit too simple and does not have the added features that the other best coolers have, but it’s not a biggie because the product does its job well at an affordable price. Sturdiness and efficiency are more important to me than extra features
The Stanley Adventure Cooler is a new cooler from STANLEY from the Adventure Series. It’s an especially robust item, which you will notice once you see the design and have it in your hands. It has a 15-liter capacity.
- Dimensions: 17.50 x 15.00 x 12.00 Inches
- Color: Green, Navy
- 15-liter capacity
- Tough polypropylene material
- Double wall-form insulation
- Silicon ring built into the lid
- Robust handle that fits well in hand
- According to STANLEY, the Cooler will stay cool for 36 hours. Of course, this is assuming that the interior is cooled with ice, and the cooler is not left with the sun
- The hinges strengthened with rivets, are also solid and well-made. The latches are quite tight, but that’s necessary to ensure the cooler is properly sealed
- The structure is so strong that the cooler can be used as a seat
- You can remove the tie-downs completely and use the area’s extra surface to put things on
- The elastic tie-downs built into the lid allow you to tie anything from drinking bottles, cooking equipment, or extra clothing – you can keep it in the cooler
- It is very well-insulated
- The cooler’s handle is not as versatile as I expected it to be although it does feel comfortable and easy to use
The YETI Tundra is an awesome and robust cooler. It can hold over 2 cases of drinks with plenty of ice and still have enough room for food. It’s a great cooler for outdoor adventures or family barbecues.
- Color: Blue, White, Desert Tan, Tan
- LEFTnotruc full-inch, integrated stopping hinge that doesn’t hyperextend
- A full frame of permafrost freezer quality gas kit that seals around the entire lid to minimize air exchange and enhances thermal resistance
- Built-in, tied on slots for solid mounting that allow access to cooler contents
- Leak proven, rugged screw end gasket and drain
- All Tundras have two inches of insulation throughout the cooler body, and 3 inches in the lid where it matters most
- Non-slip, non-rubber feet
- Unlike ordinary coolers, YETI has featured a full frame of freezer quality gas kit that seals around the entire lid to minimize air exchange
- The cooler is very durable and tough
- The handles on the Tundra are very durable and convenient to use. Each has two styles – nylon rope and extra grip, as well as an integrated handle to make carrying easier
- The screw end gasket and drain plugs are leak-proven rugged
- Non-slip, non-rubber feet help the cooler where you put it
- Just like other big coolers, the YETI Tundra is a heavy cooler. Some might find this an inconvenience but the item is great, so it should not be a big issue
ORCA coolers are made in the United States and come with a lifetime guarantee. The lockable shell and premium insulation will store ice for longer periods of time. It comes with an extendable, padded grip handles for a better carrying choice. A lid gasket makes up the seal, and a cargo net is attached to store additional items.
- Dimensions: 19” x 13.75” x 15”
- Color: Green, Pink, Tan, White, White/Crimson, Yellow/Green
- Durable and robust construction
- Lid gasket ensures perfect seal
- Built-in insulation to maximize cold/ice retention and store stowed items for ten days
- Cargo net attachments for additional storage
- Made in the United States of America
- Very durable because of roto-molded construction
- Cargo net attachment allows for extra containment
- Easy to carry and transport due to comfortable and versatile handles
- There have been some users who complained about the lid’s tendency to snap unexpectedly
We have talked about 5 of the best coolers on the market today, and you should have thought of choosing at least one of them by now.
Pelican is a very famous cooler brand, especially for people who like going outdoors and wants to bring something that can keep up with the adventure. When it comes to coolers, the brand is synonymous with quality. I am giving the trophy to Pelican, and that is why I’ve put it in #1.
The first thing that I loved about Pelican right off the bat is the lifetime warranty. Another thing that I found in the Pelican that is different from the other models is the latches. The two point, push and lift latches are simply brilliant; it makes the cooler easy to open and close (almost in an instant).
While the other coolers such as YETI have two strap tie downs, the Pelican has four. The pelican has one on each corner which makes strapping it down more manageable. You can strap on the molded handle as well. Together with the flip-up handle, the solid handle makes handling the Pelican easier to handle than the other models.
When it comes to durability and insulation, the other models work just as great as the Pelican, but when it comes to ease of use, portability and features (factors that we’ve discussed in section 2), the Pelican stands out.
I just bought a Pelican Cooler for my next camping trip. I can’t wait to use it.
Which cooler do you think is the best cooler for you? Feel free to comment on the comments section below. We would love to hear from you.